Log in

No account? Create an account

Previous Entry | Next Entry

Disaster Averted

I came home tonight, walked in the bottom door, and was immediately struck in the olfactory bulb by the strong thiol stench of a gas leak. The stove and oven are gas and use piezoelectrics to light the gas, so no pilot light. I open the screen in the door, head across the kitchen in the dark. I find the one knob turned partway on and turn it off. Open all the windows, and go upstairs to check on P and let her know what's going on. She's fine, and says we should open all the windows. So we do. Thankfully there's a breeze coming off the lake. We've had dead calm (read: mirror lake) conditions for the last few days. The cats are well, P's well, all's well.

Retrospectively, I stayed quite calm. I've never experienced a gas leak before. I didn't switch on any lights or turn on any fans since a spark could set it off. I ventilated the area and checked on all the mammals in the house. I found the source of the problem and, since it was a valve, shut it. I did have an oh-shit reaction, but kept my head. I'm just glad it was a valve and not a break in the line. Evacuations aren't my cuppa.



Nov. 28th, 2006 01:14 pm (UTC)

I've had gas leak scares before, usually stemming from a pilot light that has gone out (or...um...leaving the stove on all night for some reason...but lets not talk about that). It IS scary! I step into the house, smell gas, imagine that smelling the gas will be the last thing I ever do, and get panicky.

Sounds like you did everything right, though. Yay!

Page Summary

Latest Month

November 2019
Powered by LiveJournal.com
Designed by Lilia Ahner